Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 96 18:38:58 MET DST
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        jeff@stat.uconn.edu (Jeffrey M. Metcalf)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Tape storage.

> In reference to an earlier mail message,
>
> I decided that since I have IDE drives and no SCSI controller, I  should
> get a Colorado T1000 QIC-80 tape drive.

I'm afraid that was an unfortunate choice.  QIC-80 drives are
mechanically and electrically unsound (i.e. unreliable).

> However, I am having problems using it.

Yes, I'm afraid so.  What kind of problems are you having?

> Right now I am running a generic kernel with ft0 at disk 2.  I
> assume that I must reconfigure the kernel and put it at disk 1 since
> all I have is a 3.5in at fd0 and no 5.25.  Is this correct?

No, that's not the problem.  The problem is that it's almost
impossible to write a tape driver for these abominations that works
under a multitasking operating system.

> Also, the documentation for ft mentions that

> 'Formatting and verifying are unsupported at this time you must rely on
> your own backup program.'
>
> What exactly does this mean?

This means that you need special programs to format and verify the
tapes.  They probably run on DOS, and they're probably supplied with
the tape drive.

Greg