Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:16:52 -0800
From:      arnee <arnee@geocities.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Gerald Abshez <gerald@manhattanprojects.com>
Subject:   Re: NFS and Samba (file transfer crashes system)

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     If the machine still crashes then we need to know what the panic message
>     is.  It may be useful to configure a kernel with DDB enabled to cause it
>     to drop into DDB on a crash (this assuming you aren't running X on the
>     machine, since DDB only runs on the console).  In that case you should be
>     able to obtain the panic message and do a 'trace' to get more detailed
>     information on where the box is crashing.
>
>                                         -Matt
>                                         Matthew Dillon
>                                         <dillon@backplane.com>

With my first posting i was following current as of 20000110. The system simply
freezes and i have to reset when i transfer files from win9x (workstation--by
drag and drop), linux and freebsd 3.2 (individual workstations--nfs clients by
issuing cp command) to the system (nfs and samba server)... as well as
transfering files from the system to win9x (explorer--by drag and drop). I had
since upgraded to current-20000114 evening and compiled a kernel and the same
happens. I also have to run fsck manually about 90 percent of the time i reboot
with lots of "counts in the super-block wrong" and "incorrect link counts" on the
slice i transfer files to/from, plus a couple of files corrupted. But after
reading and following matt's instructions i have had four crash panics with these
results:

-----------------
kernel.0 vmcore.0
panic:  ffs_blkfree:  bad size

syncing disks... 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
giving up on 1 buffers
Uptime: 26m34s

dumping to dev #ad/0x20021, offset 864256
dump ata2: resetting devices .. done
(kgdb) where
#0 0xc01372b0 in boot ( )
#1 0xc0137634 in poweroff_wait ( )
#2 0xc01ceee3 in ffs_blkfree ( )
#3 0xc01d1335 in ffs_indirtrunc ( )
#4 0xc01d0e8d in ffs_truncate ( )
#5 0xc01d896e in ufs_setattr ( )
#6 0xc01dac45 in ufs_vnoperate ( )
#7 0xc0195f5c in nfsrv_setattr ( )
#8 0xc01b0bd1 in nfssvc_nfsd ( )
#9 0xc01b04eb in nfssvc ( )
#10 0xc020ee26 in syscall ( )
#11 0xc0201b06 n Xint0x80_syscall ( )
#12 0x80480f9 in ?? ( )

----------------
kernel.1 vmcore.1
IdlePTD 2994176
initial pcb at 2699e0
panicstr: from debugger
panic messages:
---
Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
instruction pointer             = 0x8:0xc018c039
stack pointer                    = 0x10:0xc433bcb0
frame pointer                   = 0x10:0xc433bd04
code segment                   = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags                = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process                 = 91 (nfsd)
interrupt mask
panic: from debugger
Uptime: 2h51m38s

#0 0xc013afb4 in boot ( )
#1 0xc013b351 in panic ( )
#2 0xc011bcf9 in db_panic ( )
#3 0xc011bc99 in db_command ( )
#4 0xc011bd5e in db_command_loop ( )
#5 0xc011dde7 in db_trap ( )
#6 0xc0206d05 in kdb_trap ( )
#7 0xc02150d8 in trap_fatal ( )
#8 0xc0214ae3 in trap ( )
#9 0xc018c039 in ip_output ( )
#10 0xc0193060 in udp_output ( )
#11 0xc0193298 in upd_send ( )
#12 0xc0156183 in sosend ( )
#13 0xc01ad56a in nfs_send ( )
#14 0xc01b4d81 in nfssvc_nfsd ( )
#15 0xc01b4477 in nfssvc ( )
#16 0xc0215336 in syscall ( )
#17 0xc0207606 in Xint0x80_syscall ( )
#18 0x80480f0 in ?? ( )

The last two panics have the same infos as "kernel.1 vmcore.1." So, I will be
"cvsup" this afternoon, hoping things work, and yes I will add DEBUG-g option
next time I compile the kernel :-). Also, please let me know if I am writing any
redundant infos or if I should include any other infos from kgdb when posting a
panic message. Sorry for the ignorance but I am still familiarizing with how
things work in -current.

arnee