Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 01:01:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE?

Tom said:

> On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, John S. Dyson wrote:
>
> > >   It seems to me that they even have kernel threading too, although it
> > > seems to me that their threads are a bit heavy (almost pseudo-processes).
> > >
> > So will we in 3.0.  (I already have the infrastructure, and work is kind
> > of in progress for a good API interface.)
>
>   What about this AIO and database stuff you kept alluding too?  Or is it
> secret? :)

AIO is going to be in there (it is actually already there, modulo a few
known bugs.)  AIO also needs manpages and a few docs.  I think that
most of the system calls are there, and if you just refer to the POSIX.4
specs, it should work okay (except for the signal handling still being
a little wrong.)

>   It is kinda of interesting that Solidtech ported their Solid server to
> FreeBSD 2.2, but performance is so-so because of lack of threading.

That does not surprise me.  Oracle is the same way (whoops!!!), because
the current FreeBSD port doesn't use AIO.  (The port was done a long time
ago.)  It is mostly used in the NC server, and doesn't really need high
perf.

Actually, AIO should help databases alot.