Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 1998 14:11:50 +0100
From:      Mark Blackman <tmb@rcru.rl.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2048-byte sector support for DOS filesystem.

Would there be any point in me pleading for 2048-byte sector support for MSDOS
filesystems to be included in current anytime soon?

I suspect everyone is quite busy, so I'm trying to adopt the least demanding
tone possible.

It would be handy for me (and others surely) to be able to read MSDOS
formatted 640MB 2048-byte sector Magneto-Optical disks. Either via the MSDOS
filesystem or the mtools port. They both fail at this point in time
(3.0-19980804-SNAP, no CAM, no SMP) with errors from 'dmesg' like

od0: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:21,0 Logical block address out of range
od0: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:21,0 Logical block address out of range
od0: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:21,0 Logical block address out of range
od0: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:21,0 Logical block address out of range
dscheck: b_bcount 512 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 2048)
od0: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:21,0 Logical block address out of range
od0: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:21,0 Logical block address out of range
od0: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:21,0 Logical block address out of range
od0: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:21,0 Logical block address out of range
dscheck: b_bcount 512 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 2048)

and I'm just not clued up enough to understand how to remedy this.

The last mention I saw of this issue was in PR kern/2715 along with a (now
outdated) patch. Is this just the usual question of effort (everybody's busy
with more important stuff) or of some technical issue that needs to be
resolved?  (that's the same thing I suppose).

Cheers,
Mark Blackman