Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2002 16:53:52 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1018565632.6850c6@mired.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?B?U/hyZW4gTmVpZ2FhcmQ=?= <neigaard@e-box.dk>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Are my questions stupid, to hard or am I just unlucky

In <9143972148.20020406201626@e-box.dk>, S=F8ren Neigaard <neigaard@e-b=
ox.dk> typed:
> Saturday, April 06, 2002, 7:23:31 PM, Bill wrote:
> BM> As an answer to your actual question, a slow, and time-consuming =
search
> BM> of the "sysutils" and/or "net" part of the ports tree may be bene=
ficial.
> BM> Sometimes you just have to take some time to do the research (the=
re's a
> BM> LOT of ports out there!)
>=20
> I belive you, but how would one search the tree for something like
> this?
>=20
> find . -name "availability"

find . -name pkg-descr | xargs grep availability

would probably be better. Trying terms other than availability that
might describe what you're looking for is also recommended.

> Maybe you could give me some pointers here for the future, so that I
> can spare you from some questions :)

man -k does keyword searches on the synopsis of the manual
pages. That's worth trying as well, to see if the tools you want are
in core instead of the ports tree.

=09<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>=09=09=09http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more inform=