Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:46:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        marcusg@elec.uq.edu.au (Marcus Gallagher)
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/SoundBlaster awe32 problems...

Marcus Gallagher:
 >System is:
 >Pentuim box, FreeBSD2.1, Creative labs awe32 16bit soundblaster card.
 >
 >The relevant section in my kernel looks like this:
 >
 >controller      snd0
 >device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
 >device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
 >device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
 >device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
 >
 >However, when I try and cat a .au file to /dev/audio, I get no sound,
 >and the cat process just hangs there, ie cursor is not returned, and

I have a Sound Blaster 32, and if it helps I can tell you mine works on the
2.1 drivers.  Here are some things that come to mind:

1) Try:
        cd /dev
        ls -l audio
        sh MAKEDEV snd0
        ls -l audio

        See if you get a change in the device numbers.

2) The default volume should be OK, so that probably isn't it

3) IRQ 5 sounds right for the default card config.  Might make sure the
   cards isn't on 7 (the other common one).

   By the way, if nothing else is on IRQ 5, don't think you need "conflicts".

4) Do you have a serial port using IRQ 5 too?

5) Is DMA 1 only used by the sound card?  You also might check your
   BIOS config and verify that it and DMA 5, IRQ 7 are allocated for use
   on the ISA bus.

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com