Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 09:59:41 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debugging Kernel/System Crashes, can anyone help??

On Wednesday,  3 May 2000 at 19:53:11 -0400, Howard Leadmon wrote:

> OK, well as I don't remember what options had been in what kernel
> from the old crashes, I just setup the machine to generate more
> crash dumps and sure enough it was willing to give me one
> quickly.. :)
>
> Here is a backtrace done on the dump I got only a few minutes ago,
> also please note that currently I am using a DEC based network card
> instead of the EEpro adapter as I had both sitting around.  If it
> would be better to try and get the dumps with the EEpro I am sure it
> can be arranged. Also note that I am currently running SMP, but did
> remove one CPU and built a non-SMP kernel to see what happened, and
> still the machine dies..

> ---
> #0  0xc013abd1 in boot ()
> (kgdb) back
> #0  0xc013abd1 in boot ()
> #1  0xc013af94 in poweroff_wait ()
> #2  0xc02283cc in trap_fatal ()
> #3  0xc022805d in trap_pfault ()
> #4  0xc0227c57 in trap ()
> #5  0xc01cdca5 in acquire_lock ()
> #6  0xc01d2f7c in softdep_count_dependencies ()
> #7  0xc01d624c in ffs_fsync ()
> #8  0xc01d4d66 in ffs_sync ()
> #9  0xc01673ef in sync ()
> #10 0xc013a9b3 in boot ()
> #11 0xc013af94 in poweroff_wait ()
> #12 0xc02283cc in trap_fatal ()
> #13 0xc022805d in trap_pfault ()
> #14 0xc0227c57 in trap ()
> #15 0xc017246b in bpfioctl ()
> #16 0xc01c19 in ?? ()
> cannot read proc at 0
> (kgdb)

Interesting.  That explains the splbio, anyway.  The real problem is
at frame 15, in bpfioctl, but the system trapped while trying to sync
before dumping.

As mentioned in the handbook, you need symbols in your kernel in order
to find out any more information.  Build a kernel with the -g option
and try again.

Greg