Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:15:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <johnnyb@stny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hello & a few questions

In Unxi shells, you set your prompt with an environment variable. For bash
shell you need to set the $PS1 variable. An example would be:

export PS1="[\u@\h \W]$ "

Note that lack of a $. In tcsh it would be something like:

set prompt="%n@%U%B%m%b%u - %c \> "

Setting up your shell can be tedious at first, but once you get the hang
of it it's well worth the effort. See the man page for your shell. The
'man' pages are the system's manual pages, readable via the 'man' command.

I'm not sure which shell is the default in FreeBSD, I always install
the bash port ASAP (although I script in sh). To set your shell run the
'chsh' command, but look in /etc/shells (read-only!) first to see which
ones are installed.

The man pages for your shell are your friend - the first couple paragraphs
will tell you which file(s) are read for settings at login. Check them
out.

HTH - JB

PS    : $ man bash
PSS   : $ man tcsh