Date:      Mon, 09 Sep 2002 14:32:03 +0100
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        unfurl@dub.net
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI 3D Rage Mobility-M1 on a Sony FXA59

Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net> wrote:

>Basicly, I can't get any usable X session to start up.

The best solution I found for getting XFree86 4 to work on my laptop's
ATI Mobility was to (a) get a sufficiently recent version of X, and
(b) use the magic "Native panel mode" rather than a VESA mode or a
custom-hacked mode. The following should work.

	Section "Monitor"
		Identifier	"LCD"
	EndSection

	Section "Device"
		Identifier	"ATI"
		Driver		"ati"
	EndSection

	Section "Screen"
		Identifier	"Fast Screen"
		Device		"ATI"
		Monitor		"LCD"
		DefaultDepth	24
		Subsection	"Display"
			Depth   24
			Modes	"Native panel mode"
		EndSubsection
	EndSection

--
f.a.n.finch <dot@dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
SOUTH UTSIRE: EASTERLY 5 OR 6, OCCASIONALLY 4 IN NORTH. MAINLY FAIR. MAINLY