Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 09:41:15 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Aleksander Rozman - Andy <andy@kksonline.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to write code in FreeBSD

On Saturday 02 March 2002 06:57 am, Aleksander Rozman - Andy wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I was wondering if there are any guidelines how to write code in FreeBSD. I
> have taken a look at several code of FreeBSD but each is written
> differently? Problem is I don't know which is preferred way.
>
> Reason I am asking this is that I am trying to add some code to kernel.
> Compile is OK, no error, no warning, but on link all variables defined with
> extern are marked as : undefined reference to 'variable', variable is
> extern and .h file which has it defined is included... Where can be the
> problem?? Another problem is that I get multiple definition error...how can
> I get over this.

There's notthing "special" about FreeBSD in this regard.  You have to have
*some* file which does *not* refer to the variables as "extern" since
"extern" means "defined someplace else in the link," and if *every* file says
tha they are defined in some *other* file, well, then, they never get
defined--just declared.

THis is a basic "C" quesiton, not a "FreeBSD" question.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org