Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 1998 08:31:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Duane H. Hesser" <dhh@androcles.com>
To:        Jacob Bohn Lorensen <jacob@jblhome.ping.dk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Subject:   Re: Revamping /etc/daily, weekly, monthly

The Vixie cron, as distributed with FreeBSD, already has a syntax
for periodic command execution.  Although the syntax is not described
in the Freebsd manual pages for cron, I've check the sources,
and...it's in there.  Specifically, you get

@reboot
@hourly
@daily
@weekly
@monthly
@yearly

@reboot runs commands at restart of cron, which is not precisely
the same as system reboot, but is close enough.  I've used this
for some years, and it's manageable.

All of these specs (except "@reboot")  run their commands at midnight
(Vixie's comments indicate a strong desire to avoid a "cron.conf"
file, which seems a reasonable goal).  This may not appeal to some
(although I like it), but it would not be difficult to alter the
source to stagger them a bit.

You can check this out in /usr/src/usr.sbin/cron/lib/entry.c to
see if this does what you want to do.

Duane H. Hesser
dhh@androcles.com