Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 1998 11:50:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Shoma & Ash Yadav <shomash@mbox4.singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing screen res in X

On 01-Jan-98 Shoma & Ash Yadav wrote:

>John, Doug, Alex
>Thanx a lot for your replies ... and wish U all a Hap-Hap-Happy New Year ...
>But ... I am still unable to get my SVGA display to go beyond the 320x200
>that it defaults to. Even after removing the 320x200 entry for 8 bit depth
>in SVGA definitions in XF86Config . If anyone out there has managed to run
>the X server on a dell VS 17X monitor attached to a Dell Optiplex 590 cd u
>pls send me a copy of your XF86Config file.
>Any other advise is also appreciated.  FYO, I do not have any extra graphics
>boards on this machine and the Ctrl-Alt-+ option does not change the
>resolution. Since my experience with FreeBSD has been only abt 2 days wd
>appreciate all the help to get this running.
>
>thanx
>Ash ;)

I just went through this with my PC  at work running an Mach-64
board. I wish I had kept better notes, but, even though you're dealing
with a different board, certain things apply..

More than likely, the reason you are not getting mode assignments to
640x480 and higher resolutions is that X thinks these are outside the
capability of your monitor, and perhaps your card for those higher than
640x480. A tip-off to this is to start X from a VTY window, then, leave
X and check the start-up messages. "Mode 640x480 does not exist" or