Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 06:22:59 +1100 (EDT)
From:      "loren" <lore@phile.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Ed Keith" <edk@kew.com>
Subject:   Re: Looking for files

Ed

Although I had to read the man pages several times, the command
you want is "find"

In this case, you'd use:
   find / -name "xyz*"

The "/" part will instruct it to start looking from the top of the
filesystem hierarchy. Instead, you could use "." if you wanted
to start the search from the current directory and limit the
search to the subdirs of where you are.

As you are now well aware, seeing the file system is
case sensitive, you might want to consider searching
for "[Xx][Yy][Zz]*" if you cant find it on the first run.

This is a very powerful command as you'll see when
you read the man pages.

Cheers
Loren