Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 21:49:48 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk (James Raynard)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bit 7 in filenames

James Raynard wrote:

[...]
> > >Actually there should be an error return, if I try to make a filename
> > >that is illegal for the filesystem.
> >
> > >For instance
> > >	create("/msdosfs/foo:bar")
> > >is an invalid name...
> >
> > It's not invalid for msdosfs :-). :-(.  Neither is creat("/msdosfs/a2345678:
> > this is a very long not to mention invalid msdos path.name", 0666).
>
> Will this still be true after the msdosfs re-write?

The vfatfs (== rewritten msdosfs) will not actually create files
containing illegal DOS filename characters.

Currently, however, it offers a `translate' option which does a
semi-intelligent mapping between characters valid on BSD and DOS.

(Invalid DOS filename characters are those below 0x20, as well as
the following sixteen:

     " * + , . / : ; < = > ? [ \ ] |

All other characters including 0x20 and characters >= 0x80 are
legal.)

With the translate option enabled, Bruce's example would be
acceptable, would be mapped to (say)

     /msdosfs/a2345678 this is a very long not to mention invalid
     msdos path.name

(which DOS itself would accept) and would result in the file

     A2345678.NAM

on a FAT filesystem.

--
Robert Nordier