Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:37:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        joe <joe@thebestisp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiservice radius

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01BD6C3E.9738DBE0

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, joe wrote:

> I know this has been covered before and I have tried using some of the suggestions but have had no success.. we currently run the radius package that came as a package with FreeBSD 2.2.5. the problems are that one person can log in several times and there is no way that I am aware of to limit users to certain services (33.6, 56K, ISDN, DSL) this is beginning to cause a problem as people "SHARE" their password and we have differen price levels for 33.6 and 56K so all someone has to do is find the 56K number pay for a 33.6 and bang they get a discount :( good for them bad for us at any rate this seems simple to me but I have not found a solution any ideas? Thanks.
>
> joe@thebestisp.com

[ Gak, please wrap your lines at 72 columns or less. And what was in that
  attachement? Most of us won't take time to look. ]

We use Cistron radius. You need a few hacks for the radutmp file
on FreeBSD as discussed last month. Check the archives.
If your NAS equipment properly sets the NAS-Port-Type
attribute for your needs, you can use that as a check item
to restrict certain port types to certain users. If you have
different phone numbers and different equipment for 33.6 and
56K, you can use cistron's huntgroups feature to restrict
connections to specific NAS IPs and ports.

However, your 56K equipment is the same as your 33.6K stuff,
it will be much harder to do. There was a discussion on USR-TC about
limiting connection types to X2/non-X2 but that is a rather
tedious setup and IMHO limits the most efficient use of equipment.

BTW, Cistron's huntgroups feature allows you to group terminal servers
and subsets of ports to provide better control of access priveledges and
reply items to do things like assign a static IP if they come in on one
huntgroup but not on others, etc... Very nice.