Date:      Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:10:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <ports@brandon.dvalentine.com>
To:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/63545: linux-flashplugin6 bug

The following reply was made to PR ports/63545; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Brandon D. Valentine" <ports@brandon.dvalentine.com>
To: Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, mezz7@cox.net
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:08:49 -0600

 On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 04:15:34PM -0600, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
 > It appears I have run up against a known bug in pmake.  From the BUGS
 > section of make(1):

 Hmm.  This is not it, this is not it at all.  To be honest I'm very
 confused by the behavior I am seeing out of make.

 It refuses to expand variables inside exists statements at all.

 I have just put this in my port Makefile with the declarations, not
 inside of a target:

 .if exists(${PREFIX}/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins)
 PLUGINSDIR?=    ${PREFIX}/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins
 .elif exists(${X11BASE}/lib/linux-opera/plugins)
 PLUGINSDIR?=    ${PREFIX}/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins
 .endif

 If I execute 'make -VPLUGINSDIR' I get nothing.

 If I change it to read like this:

 .if exists(/usr/local/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins)
 PLUGINSDIR?=    ${PREFIX}/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins
 .elif exists(${X11BASE}/lib/linux-opera/plugins)
 PLUGINSDIR?=    ${PREFIX}/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins
 .endif

 Then 'make -VPLUGINSDIR' spits out:
 /usr/local/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins

 Anybody out there reading know why make would fail to expand PREFIX
 there?

 Thanks,

 Brandon D. Valentine
 --
 brandon@dvalentine.com                           http://www.geekpunk.net
 Pseudo-Random Googlism:  winter is here with his grouch