Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:24:37 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving chapters around in the Handbook

hi,

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 08:17:06AM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> >I don't really think that FreeBSD should limit itself to considering
> >itself to be a 'Server OS', or why would we bother with any X, sound,
> >etc. support at all!
>
> It is just a question I asked other people in the past and the answer
> was how I had given it in my previous email.
>
> And I think focusing makes sense, you cannot be a great desktop OS and a
> great server OS at the same time.  You can go a long way, but it ends
> somewhere.
>
> Just look at how FreeBSD is designed, it is, for a desktop OS,
> overengineered.  For a server OS it was very good and just keeps getting
> better.

;-(

Do you propose me to 'rm -rf /' all our FreeBSD desktops here and
replace it with Linux because FreeBSD was not designed to serve us
as it did for last few years ?

I'm always using FreeBSD as server platform, but nothing stops me from
using it as desktops also.

Maybe some time in future FreeBSD will have new make knob to build
"not overengeneered" version of "world", i.e. (make DESKTOP_ONLY=YES world :-),
but now I don't see a reason to stop people who attempts to make FreeBSD
(code or documentation) better for end users (not experienced admins only).