Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:11:42 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ideas concerning fsck

In message <200010222050.e9MKoQw52873@aslan.scsiguy.com> "Justin T. Gibbs" writes:
: >If you think obviating the need for Pass# is a Bad Thing, how about
: >making it optional (defaulting to 1) so you can still set it manually
: >on your systems, and the rest of us won't have to?
:
: Having a default is fine, but removing this quite useful feature is not.
: You can actually increase the speed with which you boot by carefully
: tuning the passes on multi-filesystem per disk/multiple disk systems.

Especially since you have multiple scsi buses and multiple drives on
them.  You can keep things well balanced with pass numbers.  Please
don't remove them.  I set them all the time.  Mostly so we don't try
to fsck all the file systems on the same spindle at the same time.  It
is faster to do them serially, in my experience, than in parallel due
to disk seek times.

Warner