Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 13:16:42 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interbase source available

I wrote on 2000-07-26 (Wed) at 10:49:38 +0200:

> Jeffrey Hsu on 2000-07-25 (Tue) at 18:26:22 -0700:
> >
> > In case anyone wants to make a port out of it, Borland has just
> > released the source to their SQL database at
> >   http://www.borland.com/interbase
>
> Yes, this is an important one.  I have developed on Interbase 5.1 before, and
> it is a solid commercial database which provides many of the integrity etc.
> features still lacking form the current crop of open source databases.
> (Though Postgres will get there in the end, I believe.)

I just had a better look at the source.  Goooood grief.  This one clearly
bears the hallmark of a closed source product that had been developed
in-house for decades by a group of developers who only coped because they
knew the code well.

Time will tell as to whether open source developers feel this one is worth
cleaning up and building on.  Whatever, it doesn't currently look like it'll
be any sort of straightforward port.  :-(

-- V