Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 23:06:01 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, mdodd@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The cbus driver for pc98

"M. Warner Losh" wrote:
> In message: <20030209.224741.71137260.nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org>
>             Takahashi Yoshihiro <nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org> writes:
> : I have made the cbus driver for pc98 based on i386 isa driver.  This
> : completely removes that PC98 depends on isa driver and also corrects
> : directory layouts (pc98/i386 -> pc98/pc98 and pc98/pc98 -> pc98/cbus).
> :
> : The full patch can get from
> : http://home.jp.FreeBSD.org/~nyan/patches/cbus.diff.gz
> :
> : Soeren, please review the ata part.
> : http://home.jp.FreeBSD.org/~nyan/patches/cbus-ata.diff.gz
> :
> : Warner, please review the oldcard part.
> : http://home.jp.FreeBSD.org/~nyan/patches/cbus-pccard.diff.gz
> :
> :
> : If it has no problem, I'll commit after required repository copy.
>
> Please excuse my tardiness in replying to this review request.  I've
> just finished a large release at work that was consuming much of my
> time.
>
> I do not like this.  It seems to take too many files and just do a
> simple s/isa/cbus/g on them.  However, I'm not sure that we want to do
> that with so many files when the majority of them are very close to
> being able to just add a second module line.  I think it would be
> better to implement cbus as an 'isa bus subclass'.  cbus is an
> isa-like bus in many respects from a programming point of view.
> Copying everything is not the right way to approach this problem,
> imho.  It would be better if the cbus bus implemented the isa routines
> and accepted that 'isa' is a bit if a misnomer.

I can understand if you do not like to call your cbus hardware "ISA"
devices, but also consider that on most pc-at hardware there are no "ISA"
devices either.  Things like the floppy controller, keyboard controller,
counter/timer, rtc, etc etc are all on motherboard busses.  Many are on
things like X-bus, v-link, or other custom "quick and dirty" host busses.
If we started i386/x-bus/* and i386/v-link/* etc then things would get
ugly very quickly.  Personally, I would rather live with #ifdef PC98 than
to have a duplicate set of isa/* and i386/* files that are nearly identical
except for include file paths, #ifdef PC98 and s/isa/cbus/.  I'm sure there
are other ways to improve the situation without having to resort to this
mass duplication of code.

Cheers,
-Peter