Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2008 16:52:03 -0000 (GMT)
From:      jhall@vandaliamo.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS

I'm hoping I have missed something simple, but I am experiencing a problem
compiling OpenLDAP.

My BerkeleyDB files are in a non-standard location and I trying to set
CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS to point to the correct location.

I am logged in as a normal user, and I am using the following commands to
set CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS.

$ export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/BerkelyDB/include"
$ export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/BerkelyDB/lib"

However, OpenLDAP still fails to compile with the following message.

Checking Berkeley DB version for BDB/HDB backends... no
configure: error: BDB/HDB: BerkeleyDB version incompatible

Am I correctly setting CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS so they can be seen by
OpenLDAP's configuration script?

Thanks,

Jay