Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:55:35 -0500
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        virenp@mail.utexas.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing directories with jails

--nextPart30849119.yF9PQ90Oss

On Friday 04 March 2005 10:24 am, Viren Patel wrote:

> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> [cut original question and answer]

> >> little

> >> any member

> >> are

> >> root access

> >> anything

> >> they can

> >> things.

> >> have access

> >> How current is this? The article appears to be dated
> >> 2001. Are
> >> there still buffer-overflow issues with /proc?
> >
> > 5.3 and later no longer need proc and it's not mounted by
> > default.

> >> security.
> >
> > --
> > Anish Mistry
>
> The jail manpage instructs to mount proc when starting a
> jail and the /etc/rc.d/jail scripts mounts both devfs and
> procfs. Are you saying this is not needed and if so why
> and how to disable? Thanks.

The man page is bit out of date and needs to updated.  The jail script=20
doesn't mount either dev or proc by default, and there should be no=20
reason to mount /proc under normal conditions.  For your jail named=20
jailname in rc.conf add the following to automatically mount devfs=20
with the default jail ruleset:
jail_jailname_devfs_enable=3D"YES"
jail_jailname_devfs_ruleset=3D"devfsrules_jail"

=2D-=20
Anish Mistry