Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2010 22:28:09 +0000
From:      Andrew Hotlab <andrew.hotlab@hotmail.com>
To:        <k@7he.at>, <freebsd-jail@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Jail hot migration

> Date: Fri=2C 10 Sep 2010 19:45:20 +0000
> From: k@7he.at
> To: freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Jail hot migration
>=20
> On Fri=2C Sep 10=2C 2010 at 04:28:15PM +1200=2C Peter Toth wrote:
> > Hi guys=2C
> >=20
> > I was lately thinking around jail hot-migration feature where one jail
> > could be moved from one host to another without
> > shutting it down=2C something like vmotion in VMware world.
> >=20
>=20
> I implemented a working prototype of a container-style virtualization
> for FreeBSD=2C capable of live/hot migration. It has nothing to do with
> jail=2C but it makes use of vimage/vnet.
>=20
> I am going to do a presentation at the EuroBSDCon in October=2C
> but a paper and a demo video (no sources yet=2C sorry) are already
> online at:
>=20
> http://www.7he.at/freebsd/vps/
>=20

I was really impressed by the live migration demo video and I wish to ask y=
ou a few questions about your solution...
At this time VPS technology lacks resource limiting capability=2C do you th=
ink it could be compatible with the resource container project sponsored by=
 the FreeBSD Foundation?
Multiple virtual instances of FreeBSD running as VPS are required to share =
the same kernel=2C as in the Jail paradigm=2C or they may run different ker=
nels=2C as in NetBSD (http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/rump/)?
How many resources do you estimate in order to complete your project?
It seems that it will be far more difficult to implement the live migration=
 feature on the Jail framework than in VPS=2C but how about offline migrati=
on and resource control? Some work has been done to achieve that with the c=
urrent Jail paradigm=2C do you think that VPS will be able to do a better j=
ob in these areas too?
Sorry if any question sounds stupid: I do not know much on the internals of=
 the technologies I mentioned.
Thank you very much for your work.
Andrew
P.S. I'm sorry for the format of the e-mail=2C I'm using this awful Hotmail=
 web interface. :(

 		 	   		  =