Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:27:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Eric J. Chet" <ejc@bazzle.com>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, phk@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMware X11 and -current

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

> >At this point we must still be in freebsd xinit, then XF86_VMware(linux
> >server) get started.  I'm running a linux X server under freebsd.  Under
> >3.2R all I had to do was change the symlink for X to point to XF86_VMware,
> >under -current /dev/tty0 can't be found.
> >
> >Where was linux "/dev/tty0" coming from under emulation in 3.2R, the
> >kernel device struct changed under -current?
> >
> >I made these symlinks as suggested, ttyp0 -> tty0 and ttyp4 -> tty4 gave
>                                      ~~~~~             ~~~~~
> Symlinks should be ttyv0 -> tty0 and ttyv4 -> tty4.
>
> Notice ttyv*, not ttyp*
>           ~          ~
Hello

	I had tried it both ways, when I said having them symlinked to
ttyv0 and ttyv4 would panic with "fatal trap 12" It was suggested that I
use ttyp0 and ttyp4 respectfully.

Are you running a linux Xserver under freebsd, XF86_VMware?  Why arn't
these needed under emulation with freebsd 3.2R?  This is the main thing
I'm looking for in the code.

Thanks,

Eric

> Kazu
>
> >me errors with VT_ACTIVE, VT_WAITACTIVE, VT_GETMODE.  I should have to
> >make these symlinks they should be handled under emulation, just like
> >3.2R.

Eric Chet -> ejc@bazzle.com ejc@FreeBSD.ORG echet@cms.cendant.com
Senior Object Oriented Developer - Specializing in OOA, OOD, C++, Java, CORBA
Kenpo JuJitsu the Ultimate in Self Defense, Tai Chi for Life
cat man du : where UNIX geeks go when they die