Date:      14 Nov 1996 09:29:01 +0100
From:      Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure RPC revisited

"Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au> writes:
> On 14 Nov 1996, Assar Westerlund wrote:
>
> > Diffie-Hellman is only patented in the US and Canada.  And those
> > patents will expire the 27th of April 1997.
> >
> > (It's unfortunately not the case that you cannot have such silly
> > patents outside of the US, just that the most common encryption
> > algorithms are not patented there.)
>
> THe algorithms are export controlled. PKP is probably not allowed to
> export the algorithm for the purposes of obtaining a patent!

Isn't it only the implementation of the algorithms as computer
programs that's export controlled?  I think you can send in your
patent application on paper.  Two other variables in the game is that
in the US you can patent something that you have published some time
later and that if you're unlucky the NSA says your invention is
intresting and will steal it for "national security" reasons.  So the
"right way" is to first send in the application to EPC (European
Patent Office), then to the US Patent Office, and then publish it.
But I think we're getting a bit off topic... :)

/assar