Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:45:02 -0500
From:      Brendan McAlpine <bmcalpine@macconnect.com>
To:        Brad <djed@chilli.net.au>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HELP!!  problem with new bsd mail server

--B_3099080704_6246967

Brad

I disabled the second ethernet card in my bios settings and that brought th=
machine back online.

However, after 20 minutes or so the machine decided to go deaf again for 10
minutes.  I am getting some error messages in my logs for qmailadmin and
sqwebmail.  Could those errors cause the machine to go deaf?

Very strange. =20

Anyway, here are the entries in my rc.conf file (obviously ip=B9s and host
names have been changed to protect the innocent :-) ).

ifconfig_fxp0=3D"inet 10.10.10.4  netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter=3D"10.10.10.1"
hostname=3D"mail.domain.net"
>=20
> Any ideas?
>=20
> TIA
>=20
> Brendan
> From: "Brad" <djed@chilli.net.au>
> Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 14:42:50 +1100
> To: "Brendan McAlpine" <bmcalpine@macconnect.com>
> Subject: Re: HELP!!  problem with new bsd mail server
>=20

> Hi Brendan,
> =20
> Could you please email us the output of ifconfig and the relevant lines i=
> /etc/rc.conf
> =20
> Cheers
> =20

--B_3099080704_6246967

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: HELP!! &nbsp;problem with new bsd mail server</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Brad<BR>
<BR>
I disabled the second ethernet card in my bios settings and that brought th=
e machine back online.<BR>
<BR>
However, after 20 minutes or so the machine decided to go deaf again for 10=
 minutes. &nbsp;I am getting some error messages in my logs for qmailadmin a=
nd sqwebmail. &nbsp;Could those errors cause the machine to go deaf?<BR>
<BR>
Very strange. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Anyway, here are the entries in my rc.conf file (obviously ip&#8217;s and h=
ost names have been changed to protect the innocent :-) ).<BR>
<BR>
ifconfig_fxp0=3D&quot;inet 10.10.10.4 &nbsp;netmask 255.255.255.0&quot;<BR>
defaultrouter=3D&quot;10.10.10.1&quot;<BR>
hostname=3D&quot;mail.domain.net&quot;<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
Any ideas?<BR>
<BR>
TIA<BR>
<BR>
Brendan<BR>
<B>From: </B>&quot;Brad&quot; &lt;djed@chilli.net.au&gt;<BR>
<B>Date: </B>Sat, 16 Mar 2002 14:42:50 +1100<BR>
<B>To: </B>&quot;Brendan McAlpine&quot; &lt;bmcalpine@macconnect.com&gt;<BR=

<B>Subject: </B>Re: HELP!! &nbsp;problem with new bsd mail server<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Hi Brendan,<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Could you please email us the outp=
ut of ifconfig and the relevant lines in /etc/rc.conf<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Cheers<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">----- Original Message ----- <BR>
<B>From:</B> Brendan McAlpine &lt;mailto:bmcalpine@macconnect.com&gt; &nbsp=
;<BR>
<B>To:</B> questions@FreeBSD.ORG <BR>
<B>Sent:</B> Saturday, March 16, 2002 2:10 PM<BR>
<B>Subject:</B> HELP!! problem with new bsd mail server<BR>
<BR>
Hello<BR>
<BR>
I have a very weird problem going on with my new BSD qmail server.<BR>
<BR>
The machine has two ethernet cards, running FreeBSD 4.4. &nbsp;I think I se=
t up the ethernet configuration incorrectly, or my machine is seriously brok=
en.<BR>
<BR>
Here is what happens. &nbsp;The machine runs without problems for long stre=
tches of time. &nbsp;Then, all of a sudden, it goes deaf to network connecti=
ons. &nbsp;It seems to be some sort of conflict or something. &nbsp;The mach=
ine can?t ping the switch its connected to. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Tonight, the machine resorts to this behavior immediately after startup. &n=
bsp;Every once in a while I can?t get 3 or 4 pings through to it.<BR>
<BR>
I?ve deleted the ip address configuration I set up on the ethernet interfac=
es. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Could someone direct me to the best way to configure these cards? &nbsp;Sho=
uld I use ifconfig or just edit the rc.conf file, or both? &nbsp;Also, how s=
hould I set up the cards? &nbsp;One interface down? &nbsp;OR can I give them=
 both the same IP for redundancy.<BR>
<BR>
Lastly, would this even be the root of the problem, or would some sort of h=
ardware problem do this?<BR>
<BR>
Thanks<BR>
<BR>
Brendan<BR>
<BR>
Ps. I?ve already tried switching ports on the switch, moving the machine to=
 a new switch, and switching the ethernet cable. &nbsp;The problem lies on t=
he machine. <BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3099080704_6246967--