Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 17:58:49 -0600
From:      Steve Kaczkowski <steve@inc.net>
To:        Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BackUp Drive

Bill Vermillion wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 03:51:13PM +0300, Andrew Karjagin spewed forth:
>
> > First HDD Seagate worked two years and crash! Second HDD Seagate
> > worked two years and crash! Now we buy Quantum (there can be
> > better) and at us the problem has appeared with purchase of BackUp
> > drive. We work with FreeBSD 2.2.6, in future plan to pass on
> > FreeBSD 3.*.
>
> Seagate build drives that last and they build economy drives.
> Same with Quantum.  I've had low end drives from both fail in short
> periods of time to drives that seem to last forver
>
> > What model of the device of reserve copying well works with given OS's
> > (may be IDE or SCSI - based on your experience)?
>
> I've always used SCSI.  As to the Seagate/Quantum, I've only used
> the Seagate drives that came out of the design team that used
> to build the CDC drives, the Elite's, Baracuddas, Cheetahs, and
> the Quantums that were designed by DEC, the Viking on the low end
> of the high-end line, and the Atlas products.
>
> Drives like the Seagate Hawks, and Quantum Fireball's, always
> seemed to fail prematurely, at least for me.
>
> Longest I've had a drive run was seven years two months and about
> 10 days.  An old Maxtor, running 24x7 in a Usenet news node.  [I
> kept it running for the last two years just to see how long it
> would go]

IMHO the best drives out there are IBMs, VERY reliable,fast,quite,low
heat. You probably want to look at the ES versions since these are their
high availability disks..

I wouldn't buy any other drive at this point, for home or work related..

Good luck,

--
Steve Kaczkowski	Time Warner Telecom/inc.Net
steve@inc.net          	(414)908-9012