Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 15:12:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Josh MacDonald)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GNU binutils port

> > They are only warnings and many would go away if less warnings were enabled.
> > There would be many more if more were enabled.  For the LINT kernel built on
> > Apr 6, the warning counts were:
> >
> > 	compiler	warnings (lines)
> > 	--------	--------
> > 	cc		74
> > 	cc -Wall	2394
> > 	gcc-2.7.2	4694
> >

> Oh dear....   I can't beleive you're saying this, "They are only warnings".
>
> To me, it has, "My code sucks and I don't care." written all over
> it if you don't fix things so that they compile with no warnings
> and -Wall.  Perhaps kernel code is a bit different, but with 4700
> warnings, I'd be little scared.

I really doubt sizeof(void *) != sizeof(??? *) any time soon.

Anyone here planning on porting to a platform with split I and D?

Can you get 5M in a PDP8?

The compiler is being unbearably anal for most of those 4694 warnings.
The language didn't change to get those extra 2300 warnings, the compiler
did.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---