Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 1996 23:29:57 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        franky@pinewood.nl
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] Semantics of 'established' in ipfw tcp

> I would like to know other people's reactions to the current semantics of
> the 'established' keyword for TCP connections in the 2.2-960323-SNAPSHOT
> implementation of the ipfw in the kernel.
>
> Currently 'established' means (according to the manpage *and* some
> experimentation):
>
>     established      Matches packets that do not have the SYN bit set.
>                      TCP packets only.
>
> Should this not be:
>
>     established      Matches packets that do have the ACK bit set.
>                      TCP packets only.
>
> (To my knowledge this is the way conventional packet filters interpret
>  'established'.)

I believe it was Cisco that started using the 'established' keyword, and
at least according to Cisco documentation, for instance

http://cio.cisco.com/univercd/data/doc/software/11_0/rpcr/rip.htm#REF24774

it should be ACK *or* RST:

"A match occurs if the TCP datagram has the ACK or RST bits set. The
nonmatching case is that of the initial TCP datagram to form a connection."