Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 00:38:02 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <stephen_roome@yahoo.com>
To:        Niek Bergboer <niek@bergboer.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tagged Command Queuing support for IC-35L0?0 ?

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 07:20:30PM +0200, Niek Bergboer wrote:
> Can these newer drives, based on the IC-35L0?0-chipset, also be used
> with TCQ enabled in FBSD? (? is 2, 4 or 6 depending on whether the
> drive has 20, 40 or 60 GB capacity).

I've got one of these :

ad0: 39266MB <IC35L040AVER07-0> [79780/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66

If I turn tagged queueing on, I get an awful lot of write failures and
ata timeouts and whatnot. Basically it just doesn't work. **For me**

I'm not blaming Søren Schmidt here! it could be due to broken
hardware, code or just my sheer incompetence, but in the end I gave up
trying, it didn't work with my last drive either, and that was a 30GP
type drive (don't remember the model number though).

As far as I remember there are apparently problems with some of these
drives in terms of whether they even work when they leave the factory,
but I've only ever heard that here (make what you want of that).

Good luck, YMMV I think I might have made a local patch to include
my drive.. something like this...

/usr/src/sys/dev/ata/ata-disk.c around line 861
   const char *drives[] = {"IBM-DPTA", "IBM-DTLA", "IC35L040AVER07", NULL};

As I said, it didn't work though =(

	Steve

P.S. let me know if you suceed in getting it to work, maybe I need a
different motherboard or just to change some settings or something?