Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2013 17:15:25 -0300
From:      Marcel Bonnet <marcelbonnet@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is there a problem with categ/newport-0 ?

Hi, porters. Please, help me to clarify a situation:

The upstream of a project noticed that the library is designed to allow
parallel installation of different major versions.  To facilitate this, the
shared library name, include directory, and pkg-config file are suffixed
with the major version number of the library.

The upstream asks that packagers should follow the same conventions as
above.

Consider I have ported 5 projects and they all brand new - don't exist in
ports tree by now:

categ/foo-0
categ/bar-0
categ/abc-0
categ/othernewport-0
categ/anothernewport-0

Is it mandatory to drop the MAJOR_VERSION from the port suffix name? Is it
optional? Is it mandatory to follow the upstream convention?

If I dropped the sufix name, not only me, but any other people porting
projects that depend on these ports would have an extra work dealing with
the changes (in linux the headers point to foo-0 and now they should be
just "foo" ).

So, what is the right thing to do, the guidelines in this situation?

Thanks in advance.
--
Marcel Bonnet