Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2003 23:25:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New getblk parameter.

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Jeff Roberson wrote:
> > I'd like to add a new parameter to getblk called 'flags'.  The only flag
> > I'm currently defining is GB_LOCK_NOWAIT so that it doesn't block trying
> > to get the block.  This is useful in the vfs_cluster code where we want to
> > include a block in a cluster but only if it isn't currently in use.
>
> FWIW, I like it; the cleanup that results in kern/vfs_cluster.c
> looks nice.

Me too, thanks.

> If you are not going to change all the calls to getblk(), it
> should probably be a wrapper function, or, minimally, an inline
> and a wrapper function.
>
> The reasoning is that it chould be called from precompiled
> modules, so you want to leave a symbol visible for it, which
> defining it to getblkf(..., 0) doesn't do.

Precompiled modules are already going to be broken with the new locking
semantics.  I think requiring them to recompile is OK.  I intend to bump
the FreeBSD version if this goes in.

I'd sort of like to change all the getblk() calls actually.  If no one
strongly objects to that I'll do it.

Cheers,
Jeff