Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 16:35:35 +1000
From:      Simon Clausen <sclausen@avirnex.com.au>
To:        "'isp@FreeBSD.ORG'" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   IVR / Fax System Help

Although not directly ISP or FreeBSD related (sorry), I was hoping
someone could help me with a solution.

What we need to do is setup an Fax server so that someone can dial in,
enter their account number on their touch-tone and then send a fax that
will be entered into a database associated with whatever they keyed-in
using their touch-tone phone.

The steps involved would be (all the voice is optional, a blip would
do):
1. User dials IVR number, IVR server responds with voice messages saying
"Please enter your account number".
2. User enters account number using a touch tone phone in DTMF, fax
server reads back account number and asks to user to now send their fax.
3. User hits Start/Send on their fax machine and send's the document.
4. Fax server hangs up, converts the file to a graphics format such as
TIFF or JPG then adds an entry to a database (MySQL possibly) with the
file location and the account number entered by DTMF.
5. We then have a web front-end that lets us search by account number
for the forms sent in by the users, and view, print and mail them etc.

I have no problem with the database front-end just the IVR / fax, I've
checked out some Unix fax (mgetty and HylaFAX) packages but none seem to
do the IVR or DTMF stuff.

I have also found quite a few toolkits for Windows NT that would allow
us to write an app in Visual Basic (ick) to do this, but I haven't found
any for Unix. And I would prefer to have this running on FreeBSD or
Linux, and also the NT toolkits are v.expensive and I was hoping not to
spend so much, free would always be nice ;) Also I would prefer not to
use the Dialogic cards $7000+ here... blah.

It's a tall order but hopefully someone has attempted a system like this
on budget and on Unix.

Thanks in advance,

Simon Clausen
---
4TEK Seek! - The Independent Information and Technology Search Engine.
http://www.4tekseek.com/