Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:53:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic on a flaky SCSI CD

Kenneth D. Merry once stated:

=> I have this flaky SCSI CD, which  works sometimes :) When it fails, I
=> see something like the following popping up:
=>
=> Creating DISK cd0
=> (cd0:ncr1:0:6:0): got CAM status 0x4a
=> (cd0:ncr1:0:6:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
=> (cd0:ncr1:0:6:0): lost device
=> (cd0:ncr1:0:6:0): removing device entry
=
=That is caused by  a selection timeout. There's not a  whole lot we can
=do about that.

I think  I found  it. I increased  the SCSI_DELAY to  9 seconds  and the
drive seems happier  now. I also switched  to the new sym  driver for my
NCR-53C875. But this was not my question :) This was:

=> Under 3.4, if I  was to try to mount a CD in  this drive, when it was
=> in the  bad mood, I'd  simply get an error.  Now, with 4.0  the thing
=> panics :(
=
=That's not good.  In order to find the problem, we'll need a little more
=information.  Take a look at the handbook section on kernel debugging:
=
=http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html

I'd love  to do  this, but it  I don't  have the time  right now.  I was
hoping,  someone who  knows the  code in  question will  be able  to fix
things quickly.  It bites  me when I  attempt to use  a device  that was
created, but then removed...

	-mi