Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:42:21 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail question

I know you'll find this hard to believe, but on Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 23:13 ,
Suporte Matik actually admitted to saying:

> On Sunday 13 February 2005 22:46, Noah Davidson wrote:
>
> > The only problem with that approach is that this is a back up
> > server and the users may not be able to know of all of the
> > users. Is there any way to not have all of these bounced mail
> > go to the postmaster / root account.

> sendmail should reject mail for nonexistent users by default
> and not forward to root unless you have any strange alias for
> all but you say bounced mail what confuses me a little bit, but
> anyway, isn't it that your systema accounts are exploited by
> the spammers ? so if having 10 domains you may get 10 spams for
> tty in your root mailbox, to prevent you may try this in your
> access:

> tty@    ERROR:"4.2.2:450 No such user here."

> and so on for each systema account and rebuild the access.db and
> probably your headache goes away

The problem I have is that when mail is bounced back mail from
spammers often comes from forged addresses and I get emails
from the far site indicating there are unknown users.

So I find routing noexistant users to /dev/null is more productive.
While it's not exactly the best way to do it, there are so many
bogus addresses sending mail I haven't found a good alternative.

One site we handle has one of those strong standalone names that
don't require any advertising to come up #1 on google or msn and
when it finally hit 300,000 spams/day for that one domain I took
out the MX records.

I use the access.db for blocking known places and I won't send
anything back at all - I used the DISCARD verb as sending messages
back does nothing but generate more traffic.

Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com