Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:58:53 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, val@picturetrail.com, mike.wentz@3ware.com
Subject:   Re: 3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage

Firstly, I would like to thank Nicole for giving me a chance to offer her
some informed information and suggestions before going public with this
slam.  I'm glad I was able to ... well, no, actually, I didn't hear jack
about this until now.  Pity.

>  OK.. I tried.. I really liked the 3ware stuff. At first all of our
> troubles seemed to be directly traceable to my usage of IBM DTLA drives.
> But now after replacing abt 16 IBM drives..  I am still dealing with the
> 3ware card droppin g out drives like rain.

This is a known feature of the card; it will drop drives when the error
count for the drive gets too high.  Typically, this only happens when you
have bad sectors on the drive; hitting a bad sector a few times a day
will eventually drive the error counter too high and drop the drive.

I don't like it; I've been trying to talk 3ware out of it, but the real
fix is rather subjective.

In your case, though, this doesn't look like the problem.  I'd be very
suspicious of your data cabling (you are using the cables that came with
the controller, right?) and power supply.  10 drives is way more than
your average box can power, especially if you are working them hard.

More details here would help narrow the problem down.

>  I have had it. There are no driver issues here, there is no FreeBSD issue
> here, its all 3ware and can IDE drives really take abuse at all like that in
> a database server or even a very busy picture server.

They can, actually.

You know perfectly well that there are other people out there that aren't
having these problems beating these cards up.  You know that 3ware and I
are both interested in fixing anything that's wrong.

So why are you crying in public about it, when you could be getting it
fixed?  This doesn't do anyone any favours. 8(

Regards,
Mike