Date:      Thu, 28 May 2015 18:21:03 +0200
From:      Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it>
To:        "Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Cc:        Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole@cairodurham.org>,  "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS in a VM?

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 9:39 PM, Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC
<chad@shire.net> wrote:
> I do.  I do it not so much for any performance benefits, if any, ZFS offe=
rs, but more for data integrity.  You need to tune it since the VM based di=
sks are not the same as physical disks.  I run into performance issues when=
 the =E2=80=9Cdisk=E2=80=9D gets to a certain usage level (in terms of used=
 capacity).

I'm not sure ZFS on a virtual disk will help a lot on a disk based
corruption, but I'm not a guru in this subject.
I personally tend to use ufs on my virtual machines, relying more on
the host file system for no data corruption. This allows me to have
smaller machines and use the ram for other stuff.
But this is my personal point of view.

As pointed out in this thread: tuning ZFS on virtual machine is not
the same as tuning it on real disks (and this is pretty much valid for
every tuning operation in virtual machines).

Luca