Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:26:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel 810?

Mark Newton writes:
| On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 07:52:20PM -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:
|
|  > <<On Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:41:15 -0500, "Douglas Kuntz" <dakuntz@home.com> said:
|  >
|  > > As others have stated, Socket370 boards arent all 810/810c...my 4.0-Current
|  >
|  > The important issue to me is: will FreeBSD work on an 810 motherboard?
|  > The reason I care is because I need the form-factor (a 1U-high
|  > server); if I am to use some alternate motherboard, I'll need to be
|  > certain in advance that it will fit in a MicroATX opening.
|
| For what it's worth, we've been buying 1U servers pre-configured
| (and pre-installed with FreeBSD) from Telenet Systems, http://www.tesys.com.
| US$1199 for the entry-level model.

To add to the 1U & 810 thread.
      -	810 does not support ECC memory from what I've read.
      - Several cases are available that use ATX or PICMG SBC boards.
	There are some others but not as interesting or standard.
      - ATX boards that can fit in a 1U case need a socket and not a
	slot.  I think it is a risk to depend on generic ATX motherboard
	venders to make them in the future since the ATX spec does not
	meet the needs of 1U.  2U is fine, no issues.  Boomrack has
	lots of solutions.  Also you need to get everything on board
	since you only have one precious expansion slot (a right
	angle adapter).
      - NLX has same problem as ATX (besides I have a grip against NLX
	since you can't use off the shelf AGP cards in them ... there
	is a special spec for AGP/NLX)  Try to buy one I dare you
	I eventually dug one up at 2X suggested retail).
      -	PICMG SBC guys need to make thin boards for multi-slot machines
	so there are lots of Socket boards out their with "real" chipset
	(ie BX that support ECC memory).  Also you can get onbard
	SCSI, VGA, Ethernet, USB etc.  SBC's usually have watchdogs,
	DiskOnChip (in which you can easily stick a netboot rom) etc.
      - Lots of 1U cases a little "lame", meaning the SBC cases don't
	have mounts for all of the SBC boards options.  You can only get
	so many things out a single slot.  Mitac is the only company
	I've seen so far that has more then enough knock outs in their
	case (www.mitacinds.com).  Also the Mitac case can fit a
	     - CDROM
	     - 3.5" hard drive
	     - 3.5" floppy
	     - 2.5" laptop drive
	All at the same time.  I haven't found any other cases that
	can do that.  Most require a laptop drive if you use a CDROM.
	Now most FreeBSD machines can get away with not having a CDROM
	so it isn't critical.
      -	Expansion is usually one PCI/ISA slot.  We use a D-Link 4 port
	ethernet card.  This card is short enough to fit in the slot
	since it is not quite a full lenght slot with a CDROM.
      - Mitac does not use the Intel ethernet chip :-(

We have a Mitac case in house and it is very nice.  BTW the IBM 1U
system is OEM'ed.  There is also another company doing dual PII in 1U.

Doug A.