Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:16:52 -0500
From:      Andrew Arensburger <arensb@cfar.umd.edu>
To:        Uri.Shenderovich@lightscapenet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supporting threads by gcc-2.95.2

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 08:48:13 +0200, Uri.Shenderovich@lightscapenet.com wrote:
> Hi ,
> I've recently installed FreeBSD(4.1) and was trying to compile something
> that requires
> posix threads supported.The 'configure' discovered that gcc doesn't support
> threads.
> Is it true and I have to get sources and recompile the gcc ?
> Or maybe I just , forgot to install something :( ?

	I believe that under Linux, to compile with threads, you link
with the 'pthreads' library, i.e., you compile with "gcc -lpthread".
Under FreeBSD, however, you compile with "gcc -pthread".
	Presumably the 'configure' script is broken. A quick and dirty
hack is to edit 'configure' and replace all instances of "-lpthread"
with "-pthread".

--
Andrew Arensburger, Systems guy		Center for Automation Research
arensb@cfar.umd.edu			University of Maryland