Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 13:37:54 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
Cc:        Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interbase source available

On Tue 2000-08-01 (13:16), Johann Visagie wrote:
> > Yes, this is an important one.  I have developed on Interbase 5.1 before, and
> > it is a solid commercial database which provides many of the integrity etc.
> > features still lacking form the current crop of open source databases.
> > (Though Postgres will get there in the end, I believe.)
>
> I just had a better look at the source.  Goooood grief.  This one clearly
> bears the hallmark of a closed source product that had been developed
> in-house for decades by a group of developers who only coped because they
> knew the code well.
>
> Time will tell as to whether open source developers feel this one is worth
> cleaning up and building on.  Whatever, it doesn't currently look like it'll
> be any sort of straightforward port.  :-(

I agree.  I don't know _how_ this thing builds.  It's a mess of broken
makefiles, broken symlinks, broken shell scripts, and endless other
stuff.

It assumes things like "." being in your path, and your build directory
to be in a certain place, and that certain place is impossible to guess,
and the symlinks are all relative.

Ick.

Neil
--