Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:59:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Liam Slusser <liam@tiora.net>, Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>, "Harry M. Leitzell" <Harry_M_Leitzell@cmu.edu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BPF on in 3.3-RC GENERIC kernel

:Yes.  Automation would help.  Today you almost have to do
:	chflags schg /usr/{s,}bin/* /{s,}bin/* /usr/libexec/* /etc/* /usr/lib/*
:to get started, but even that leaves a few holes...
:
:I'd love to see an intellegent automation tool and would happily
:review it.  Sadly, I don't have the time to write and maintain said
:tool.
:
:Warner

    At BEST I cared about two things security-wise:  (1) preventing non-root
    users from being able to gain root, and (2) detecting those intrusions
    that actually manage to break through to root.

    Making a system reasonably secure does not equate to protecting root from
    itself.  If someone has root, you've lost.  Period.  It doesn't matter
    whether they can modify the system or not, you've still lost.  Trying
    to protect root from itself only prevents your security scripts from
    detecting the fact that you've lost.

    In that respect, I find chflags utterly useless and the securelevel only
    moderately less so.  All they do is prevent the hacker from making changes
    that would otherwise cause his presence to be detected.  I still use it
    to some degree -- I think a distinction should absolutely be made between
    raw device access and access through a filesystem, but the primary purpose
    of those tools is simply to create enough of a delay to be able to react to
    a situation.

    Having the schg flag and securelevel give you useful tools, but you
    shoot yourself in the foot if you overuse them or come to depend on them.

    Believe me, chflaging half the files in / and /usr to schg is a major
    overuse.  By the time you've schg'd everything to the point where root
    is supposedly 'safe', you might as well have simply mounted / and /usr
    read-only in the first place.  It would have been easier.

    This is what I might recommend for a poor-sysad's security:

	* Setup the systems

	* Quietly do a read-only NFS export of everything from every system
	  to a secure security box that only one or two people can get into.

	* Have that box md5 (etc....) and test the files for changes, for
	  suid bits, and so forth.  Once a night, every night, and to notify
	  you if something changes.

	  Check system configuration files even more often - doesn't cost
	  you a thing to check a dozen or two files on every machine once
	  every 5 minutes!

    I'm going to update my security page ( man 'security' ), it's a little
    dated.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>