Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:48:51 -0500
From:      "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>
To:        "'Terry Lambert'" <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        johnh@isi.edu, FreeBSD-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, "Smallie, Scott" <Scott.Smallie@anheuser-busch.com>
Subject:   RE: Stackable filesystems and SunOS 4.1.1

	[Alton, Matthew]

	I apologize for being hopelessy vague and incomplete here.  I was
thinking about
	John Heidemann's work.  His web page says that his primary development
	platform was SunOS 4.1.1 and that there is "unsatisfactory" code in
Free- &
	Net- BSD.  I downloaded the necessarily incomplete (license issues)code
from
	his site and was pining away for the rest.

> This distrubtion is *only* for Sun3 hardware.
>
> The distributor admits to taking the risk upon himself of
> distributing the binary images without the legal consent of Sun
> Microsystems.
	[Alton, Matthew]

	I believe that Sun blessed this recently.  The web page thanks Herr
Somebody of
	Germany Sun for making these images available.
	[Alton, Matthew]

	Anyway, my Filesystem Development Odyssey (sp?) has now led me through
sev-
	eral Dante-esque levels of La Inferno.  I remain fixated upon the goal
of obtaining as
	platform-independent a set of semantics as I can lay hands on.

	Is fleshing out the Heidemann work the Right Thing?