Date:      Tue, 10 May 2011 01:35:34 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC][Change-Request] Create usefulness in rc.subr etc/rc.conf.d/*.conf namespace.

--u65IjBhB3TIa72Vp

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 09:55:10PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> This will be my last post on this topic unless something new arises.=20
> Please don't cc me on any more responses.
>=20
> On 05/09/2011 21:08, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
> >
> > Doug,

> >> I read what you have written to date, but I don't see anything other
> >> than "It doesn't work the way I want it to." I just re-read the
> >> description in rc.conf.5, and I think it's clear, but I wouldn't object
> >> to suggestions to improve it.

> >> No normal user would do that, so I reject your premise. :)
> >>

> > Ok let me re-state that because you seem to have taken that litterally =
as
> > absolutely no rc.conf. "A rc.conf but without the needed nfs related
> > parts" This is an example!.
>=20
> Hence the smiley.
>=20
> >>
> >> The various nfs-related options are a particularly pathological case, =
no
> >> one is disputing that. However, for the vast majority of purposes the
> >> one-name-at-a-time method works fine. And given that most users don't
> >> need anything even approaching the type of functionality that you're
> >> proposing, I still don't see a problem.
> >>

> > I was not asking your you opinion of the way it works. You asked for an
> > example and one was given and you seem to be all opposed to even going
> > through and testing out that example to see where the stumbling blocks =
are
> > as you apparently have no recognition of them now. NFS is not the only =
case.
>=20
> To the extent I understand your paragraph above, I don't think you=20
> really understand where I'm coming from at all. I don't need to follow=20
> your suggestion, I already know that for the particular pathological=20
> case you described the rc.conf.d method is not appropriate.
>=20
> What you seem to be missing is that your suggestion is not necessary to=
=20
> solve the problem. To the extent that it is necessary to provide a=20
> solution to this at all, multiple solutions already exist.
>=20
> >>
> >> Gordon has already stated it fairly eloquently, but I'll paraphrase. T=
oo
> >> much potential for user confusion, for too little benefit. I realize
> >> that to you this sounds like a simple change, but the problem is that
> >> when you add knobs, users twist them. So every change to something as
> >> fundamental as the boot system needs to have really strong justificati=
on.

> > Sadly at this point you still seem to not realize the complicated state
> > that rc.conf.d is in.
>=20
> I hope you'll understand if once again I respectfully disagree.
>=20
> > This is not adding a new knob
> [...]

Unfortuneately at Doug's request this will not be CC'd, but this is also=20
the intention of this thread as well. As stated earlier in the thread with=
=20
my proposal to tidy this up I also said that once it is laid out for=20
something that is agreed upon that I would update the manual accordingly.=
=20
Doing this before the said seen needed fixes to uncomplicate the use of=20
rc.conf.d would be be a great loss of time as it would require documenting=
=20
every rc.d script, the names that are exported from them and putting=20
together every combination of such. This type of complexity is what is=20
trying to be avoided while still allowing the user to create well named=20
organized custom configurations.

--=20

 Regards, (jhell)
 Jason Hellenthal