Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:48:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      "James D. Butt" <jbutt@mwci.net>
To:        MegaFred <mfred@zen.triax.com>
Subject:   Re: Missing Operating System!

> After many attempts at installing FreeBSD on a bootable 9-gig scsi drive
> (Quantum ATLAS II XP391000, one 2-gig FreebSD partition with the automatic
> labeling scheme), I constantly get an error message saying "Missing
> Operating System".  This happens only when doing the "standard" boot
> method, rather then using the boot loader.  When I use the boot loader, I
> just get the F? prompt.  I'm using the correct geometry as specified in
> the Quantum Manuals (setting the geometry in the fdisk util).
>
> Anyone have a quantum 9-gig whos had a similar experience and been able to
> solve it?

We have found that you have to make the boot partition under 1024
Cylnders and it works fine.

  James D. Butt 'J.D.'
  Network Engineer                                   Voice 319-557-8463
  Network Operations Center                          Fax   319-557-9771
  MidWest Communications, Inc.                       Pager 319-557-6347
  241 Main St.                                          noc@mwci.net
  Dubuque, IA  52001                                   jbutt@mwci.net
Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.