Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 00:32:25 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Jon Larssen" <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail to company mailserver, how?

> Hello,
>
> I'be banging my head against a wall for several days with Sendmail. I have
> this box working as a router, the company mail server is another box. Now,
> I'd like to send email from the routerbox to mailserver (like the daily
> security reports). What should be the sendmail.cf options to this?
>
> I have already disabled sendmail in rc.conf, since I don't need the daemon
> running in this box. Do I have to disable the local mailer?

All important system mail is sent to 'root' (or an alias that maps to root).
All you need to do is add an alias in /etc/mail/aliases that forwards all
'root' mail to 'user@companymail.com'.  You can leave sendmail disabled, and
you don't need to touch sendmail.cf.

I do this for all of the FreeBSD-based NAT/Firewall boxes I deploy at client
sites, and it's wonderful coming in to work in the morning and seeing status
reports for all of my boxen.

--
Matt Emmerton