Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 20:21:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        Mark Kobussen <skjellyfetti@iname.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setting up a small ISP

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Mark Kobussen wrote:

> Ok, got a few quick (ok, maybe not quick - but less than... nevermind)
> questions:
>
> Scenario: I plan on setting up a VERY small scale ISP (mainly for my own
> uses plus hosting service for a few friends/associates to pay the bills
> to maintain the server =)
>
> Setup: Well, right now I have a Pentium 90, 16mb of RAM running FreeBSD,
> a Pentium 133 running Windows 95 (for the family, ya know), a nice
> little Dell laptop which will be plugging in from time to time, plus two
> miscellaneous 486's.
>
> * Note: If this was already sent out, the Dell laptop is running Windows
> 95.  And I do plan to run Samba on the FreeBSD box so I can do some easy
> filesharing (I use FrontPage 98 at work, and am moderately happy with
> it, so I'll be using it on the Win95 workstation to manage my web on the
> FreeBSD box).

I'll let others bad mouth Frontpage Extentions.  =)

> Now, I was wondering what are the best solutions for:
>
> 1) Running the FreeBSD as the router/server package.  I want to get a
> low-range ISDN (64k) connected directly to the FreeBSD box.  It would
> act as a packet router for the rest of the network (basically the Win95
> workstation and laptop).  Now, the FreeBSD box would also act as the
> httpd, pop3d and possibly ftpd server.  Oh, plus SQL (either mySQL or
> mSQL).
>
> 2) Static IP's.  I have absolutely NO experience with static IP's.  I
> can get either 1 or 8, although I have no idea if I'd even need 8.  With
> the FreeBSD box acting as the packet router, do I just need that one
> visible to the outside world?

Will you be providing dialup for your friends?  Or *just* hosting?  How
serious is the content and the people wanting the hosting?  Serious web
hosting should really be done on a T1 or better.  Were you just offering
~username sites or were you going to handle virtual domains as well?  Is
your ISP aware you'll be reselling your connection in this way?

As far as your LAN is concerned, 1 IP is plenty unless you want each box
to have it's own address.  You would use private (RFC1918) addresses on
the LAN and Address Translation to share the 1 IP.

If you want each box to have their own IP, get the 8 IP subnet (You really
only get 6 useable IPs.  The low and the high are used for the network and
broadcast addresses.)

> I need to know if I'm giving FreeBSD too much credit for running on a
> Pentium 90.  Is that a big load to place on a low-end box like that?
> I've been using FreeBSD for about two weeks now, and I'm amazed with its
> power!

Heh..not at all.  I have a setup just like what you're describing.  My
router is a 486/50 w/24M RAM and it does the forwarding for 2 pc's, Samba
services, web server w/3 virtual hosts (I've got a /29), packet filtering,
etc, and runs flawlessly. Of course I'm only on a x2 dialup, and the only
web traffic I get is from those who I tell "Hey, look what I can do with
this!", but still.  There's a full description of my setup on the web
server, and if I'm on you can see it at http://blue.jorsm.net.

A 486 will pass, but depending on what you're planning on hosting you
should use the P90.  Or (with the subnet) use a 486 just as a router &
firewall and use the P90 as the primary server.

-Jeremy