Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 1995 13:04:41 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: kern/577: SLIP requires `ifconfig up' now

>The line ``ifconfig sl$6 ...'' was supposed to set the interface
>address and mark the interface automatically `up' (as it's also the
>case for other interfaces e.g. ethernet).  After your modification, it
>didn't work anymore.  Sticking another ``ifconfig sl$6 up'' in the
>next line worked around this, but i thought it's not a good idea to
>break with the previous behaviour.

   Actually, you probably do want the "ifconfig up", as this has the effect
of immediately propagating the new routing information to down-stream hosts
(assuming there are any).

>Apparently, the interface isn't marked automatically `up' by slattach.

   Actually, the process of converting the interface to a SLIP device should
set it up. I really don't like the 'up' flag not tracking the state of the
interface. Perhaps if it was set 'up' only if the interface was a SLIP device,
would this be okay?

>It works now as one would expect: it's up right after the first
>ifconfig, and i can put it down or up later if i want.

   Ethernet is special - it's not okay to extrapolate this about other network
devices.

-DG