Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:13:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Powered by FreeBSD" on the Apache default page

...time to jump in the middle of this...

>> [Regarding adding themes to either the window manager ports, or
>>  making some new "theme" ports]

>Making a new category only leaves the impression that we are collecting
>themes. Before you know it, half the ports collection will consist of
>themes. I think misc is appropriate for a handful of really cute and BSD
>friendly themes, assuming that we want theme ports of course.

I guess I'm just not thrilled with the idea of having 'theme' ports. These
things are transitory, fashionable, and a week later there's a newer,
better one out there that everyone has to have.  If, for example, Window
Maker was horribly linux-centric in terms of the included themes, I'd be
all over adding some files a la' Afterstep, but it's pretty OS neutral.
(Kudos to the developers for making it that way, BTW.)  Themes are pretty
easy for users to get and install on their own, and 6 months from now
these cool, crisp themes are going to be old, dusty themes.  What would
one upgrade x11-themes/cool_wm_FreeBSD_theme to then?  Seems like a
dead-end.

Bottom line?  Do what you will, but don't do it to my Window Maker port. :-)

Brian