Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:56:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      SciTec Postman <postman@scitec.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   su in sh scripts

I am writing some sh shell scripts to do some basic email administrative
duties. For example, someone who is not at all familiar with UNIX might
have to go in and change a forwarding address for someone. I do not want
to have them clunking around /etc/aliases, and I do not think they want
to deal with emacs or vi on a console screen.

My scripts are mostly just simple uses of sed and redirection to files
to add and remove things from the /etc/aliases. However, I have caught a
hitch that reveals my inexperience with shell scripts, especially sh.
Many of these scripts send out a confirmation mail. The scripts will be
run by root (we typically are changing /etc/aliases), but I do not want
to be sending mail from root. What I would like to do is 'su' to another
account, execute some commands, then leave the script. However, su likes
to spawn new shells. I am not exactly sure the best way to change users
in a script and to get commands to the new user's shell.

So what I want to know is, what is the most graceful way to execute a
couple of commands as another user from a shell script?
--
Crist J. Clark                               postman@scitec.com
SciTec, Inc                                  E-Mail Administrator