Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2014 18:29:01 -0800
From:      Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>
To:        Jim Rowan <jmr@computing.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best tiny zfs board?

On 12/05/14 18:04, Jim Rowan wrote:
> I’m trying to put together a backup server… and thus I’m looking
> for recommendations on the best-fit board I can find right now.
> It’s going to spend it’s life inside a fireproof safe doing zfs
> receive, and basically nothing more.
>
> It should have:
>
> - lowest possible power; I’m aiming for 10W (for the board) if
> possible - inexpensive - single sata port, any speed (working on
> freebsd; supports > 2T drives).  Two ports would be a bonus, but is
> far from required - ~1G ram - wired network - don’t care about zfs
> root (it will boot from some flash/usb/nanobsd image) - zfs needs
> to work…
>
> I’m new to freebsd/arm, and not familiar with the current
> state-of-affairs.  I’m certainly able/willing to run -current on
> this device, if that helps.
>
> It looks like a minnowboard max would fit, but it’s at the top end
> of my price and power budget.
>
> Anyone have comments on these?
>
> Banana pi?  (Is sata supported on the A20, on this board yet?)
> cubox i2ex or hummingboard i1ex?
>
> Or other suggestions?

I suppose you are looking for some ARM based solution, which I'm
interested in too.  (Disclaimer: I have never run ZFS with FreeBSD/arm
yet).

My biggest concern at this time is that no inexpensive board that I am
aware of that supports ECC RAM, which may be problematic over the long
run: ZFS replicates metadata and can recover from silent data
corruption on disks, however if the in-core copy have undetected bit
flip before being written, you would have big problems.  I personally
have that happen to my home storage system, which was later replaced
with a Asrock C2750D4I based storage system running -CURRENT.

Cheers,
- --
Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>    https://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!           Live free or die